The sestieris in Venice
Discovery of the most beautiful zones in the city, of their history and of the most important artistic attractions. The sestieris correspond to the six districts in which the city is divided: Canareggio, Castle, Dorsoduro, St. Mark, St. Paul and Saint Cross. This ancient division in areas derives from the decomposition in jurisdictions of the city of Venice to the epoch of the "Serene", and you/they are symbolized by the six barrettes that are found in the "iron of bow of the gondola."
Sestieris of Canareggio: ll name would have two origins, you/he/she could derive from " Canal Regio", or rather principal channel, or from the fact that in the past this zones you/he/she was covered of reeds therefore from "Regal Cannarum."
Canareggio extends him on the part North West of the cities and confines with the Sestrieris of Saint Cross and Castle.
This zone is rich of buildings and churches to visit.
Church of Saint Maria of Nazareth or the Carmelitanis Scalzi The church was built in the first years of the XVII century from Baldassarre Longhena. The grandiose façade was performed between the 1672 and 1680 by Joseph Sardi.during the first world war a bomb destroyed the ceiling by the Tiepolo, therefore today it is possible to see only the sketch to the Gallery of the academy.
Building Labia Il magnificent building was built among the XVII and the XVIII century from the rich Catalan family of the Labias. Inside the building it is possible to admire the decorations performed to work of the Tiepolo. To today the building it is center of the regional Rai.
Ghetto During the period of the Venetian Republic, the Hebrews were forced to live only in this zone of the city, today this zone is center of the Jewish Community in Venice. During 500 different synagogues were created according to the group of origin: the German Schola Grande, the Schola Canton, the Schola Levantina, the Schola Spagnola and the Schola Italiana.
Building Vendramin Calergi The building and surely in Renaissance style, it was the family of the Loredans to want its construction for hand of the architect Mario Codussi, the inside frescos you/they were realized instead by the Giorgine. Today it is center of the Casino in Venice, the house from game more ancient than the world, founded in 1638, but moved to building Vendramin to the 1946.
Ca' of gold The building was built to want of Sea Contarini among 1421 and 1440, was realized thanks to the job more artists: Mark Of Amedeo that directed the jobs, the sculptor Matteo Raverti, Giovanni and Bartholomew Bon Jean Charlier.Today it is ownership of the state, different works have kept among which: the St. Sebastiano of Mantegna, objects of I furnish Gothic, some collection of Renaissance bronzetti and paintings of Tuscan school.
Sestiere of Castle: The sestiere takes the name from the ancient fortitude, by now more visible, built for defending away from the attacks sea.Castle confines to northeast with Canareggio, it is the most populous zone in the city and it is rich of tourist attractions to visit.
Arsenal in Venice Si develops on a very wide area in Venice, and it represents the center of the Venetian naval industry of the XII sec.To today used as center espositiva of the Biennal exhibition in Venice, to his/her inside the Naval Historical Museum has been prepared, where the historical testimonies are picked on the navigation and on the Italian and Venetian navy.
Church of St. Francis of the Vineyard The name of the church derives from the fact that the field on which has been built it was reserved to the cultivation of the vineyard. In 1253 the Doge's child Pietro, Mark Oziani, gave the ground to the monks and from there takings the by the construction of the religious building.
Church of san Giovanni in Bragora La church rises on the homonym field that is also entitled to the patriots in Venice, Flag and Field.The church goes up again to the VIII century and he was founded by the bishop of Oderzo, St. Great.
School and church of san George of the Greek is the most ancient Greek-orthodox church of the west and has been built between 1539 and the 1561.
Today it represents still the most important center of cult for the Greek community in Venice.The Greek school of St. Nicolò that is close to the church guards different works of Greek painters and Venetians and Greek icons.
Church of san Zaccaria The church, entitled to St. Zaccaria, father of Giovanni Battista, is a' you import monastic church, in which the Venetian noble youths were confined for taking the votes. It was erect in the XV century and subsequently completed by Mario Codussi that it realized the monumental façade.
Basilica of san Giovanni and Paul considered the Pantheon in Venice, since it preserves the graves of twenty-five doges, it is said from the Venetian church of St. I Manipulate. The church goes up again to the 398 d.C and you/he/she was built on order of the senator Bizante on the rests of the house of the two officers Roman Giovanni and Paul that were martyred by Terenziano in 362.
Sestiere of Dorsoduro Il sestiere is called this way because of the very solid ground on which it rises.
It confines to north with S. Cross and S. Pole, this is the sestiere where the most important museums in Venice are found.
Saint Maria of the Charity The church was built in the XII century and included the three principal areas, church, monastery and school.
In the XVI century Andrew Palladio planned a series of jobs in the convent, and up to the XVII century has been one of the most important complexes in the city, thanks also to the numerous works that it guarded. After a period of abandonment, she was used for entertaining the academy of the Belle Arti and the Galleries of the academy.
Galleries of the academy Found in 1807 and open to the public in the 1871. They represent the greatest and important review of Venetian and Venetian painting from the XIV to the XVIII (among the authors Carpaccio, Pretty, Tintoretto and Titian).
Collection Paggy Guggenheim The museum is found in the building of Venier of the Leos, private residence of Paggy Guggenheim.
The exposures include prominent examples of the American modernism of the Italian Futurism, it picks up besides Cubistic works, Surrealists and of Abstract Expressionism.
Ca' Rezzonico The building was built by Baldassarre Longhena in 1649 on commission of the family Bon, was incomplete up to when was not purchased by the family Rezzonico (1750) and finished by the work of Grey Massari. Today it is to center of the Museum of the '700 Venetian that entertains the harvest most important of objects of art and paintings of the century.
Sestiere of St. Mark E' the center in Venice and for a long time the heart of the Venetian life, with the famous coffees and the unique atmosphere of the frame of plaza St. Mark.
St. Mark places Taken form within the time, on the base of the adaptations owed by the variety of functional and representative demands of the city.
To trapezoidal form it is the only plaza in Venice because the other ones are called "fields."
You divides in three principal arres: the plaza contained among the New and New Procuraties Vecchie, that includes the basilica and the bell tower of St. Mark.
The piazzetta of St. Mark: what it is in front of the ducal building to the National Library Marciana.
Pizzetta of the Leoncinis: where the Patriarchal building is found.
Basilica of St. Mark Is founded in the sec.IX from the doge Giovanni Partecipazio to guard the bare ones of St. Mark and in 1807 became cathedral in Venice. And' the most important place as it regards the public and religious life of the city, where the most important recurrences were celebrated and where the doges were consecrated.The structure is characterized by Byzantine, Romanesque and Gothic elements seen again according to the Venetian typical style.The monumental façade is decorated with marbles and mosaics and divided in two parts from a terrace where they lean the four horses of gilded bronze
Tower of the clock A monument symbol, that articulates the to flow some time in the city of Venice from years.
Through an it visits driven it is possible to know the history of the clock, to see the mechanisms and the gears that have been allowing his/her operation for different centuries, is also gifted of a carillon mechanism, active alone the day of the Epiphany and the Ascension, when the precious statues of the Kings Magi and the angel go out in procession.
Archaeological museum is found in some environments of the Procuraties Nuove and preserves the collections of Giovanni Grimani and his/her nephew Giovanni, he/she understands an important harvest of Greek sculptures, of fragments architectural and sculptural Romans, of epigraphs marbles and busts and a numismatic collection with Roman coins of the republican epoch, that go from the sec.III to the sec.I A.C.
Theater the Phoenix was planned in 1790 by Gian Antonio Forest and inaugurated in 1972 with the mass in fit de "The Games in Agrigento " of Giovanni Paisiello. The history wants that has been more times destroyed by fires and reconstructed, the last episode happened in 1996, has been reconstructed after eight years of jobs and again inaugurated in the 2003.
Sestiere San Pole :
And' the smallest sestriere in the city, confines to south with Dorsoduro and takes the name from the church most important: St. Paul Apostolo.
Bridge of Rise crosses the Canal Grande and is the most famous and ancient of the Venetian bridges.Already in 1557 a bridge existed in wood, but was reconstructed in stone by Bridge Anthony and inaugurated in the 1591.
Saint Maria Gloriosa of the Fraris: it is one of the most important churches in the city, he/she understands different works and sculptures of the period of the Serene one, among these paintings of Titian and Pretty.
The construction of the building began in 1340 and completed in one century, it rose to the place of another church of the XIII sec. built by the Franciscan (the Fraris) Smaller monks.
House Goldoni is the house where the famous playwright Carlo Goldoni was born the 25 February of the 1707.
Ca' Centuries, that it takes back the Gothic style of the XV century, were he/she rents from the family Goldoni up to 1719.
Great school of St. Rocco Fu built beginning from the 1516 bottom the direction and second the project of Bartholomew Bon that took care of the jobs up to 1524, subsequently it was Saints Lombardo to 1549, the work was finished by Gian Giacomo Grey de in the 1560.
Great school of St. Giovanni Evangelista is a school in Venice where in past the brotherhood of the Beaten ones resided, was founded in the 1261. In 1481 the shop of the Lombardis realized the portal in Renaissance style. In the 1512 Mark Codussi it reconstructed the great inside stairway. In 1806 with the Napoleonic edicts the school veins suppressed, in 1856 the stable one was purchased by some privacies, and to today has repurchased his/her role of brotherhood.
Sestiere of Saint Cross: This sestiere confines to south with Dorsoduro, and it owes its name to the Saint Cross in Jerusalem, a' ancient church that was demolished under the Napoleonic empire.This is the only zone where possible circular is with the automezzis. And' the most limited zone in the city and in antiquity it belonged to a 'called area Luprio where the salt pans were found.
Ca'Pesaro among the most beautiful buildings in Venice, characterized by the façade in Baroque style, it is situated in the Sestriere Di Saint Cross, and it leans out on the Canal Grande was built for wish of the noble family Pesaro from the architect Longhena that began the planning in 600, to death in 1682, the building had not been finished yet, therefore the jobs continued for hand of Gian Anthony Gaspari, that maintaining to the initial project, I finish the work in the 1710. Today the building entertains the National Gallery of Modern Art, rich of paintings and sculptures eight-novecentesche, works of Chagall, Klimt, Kandinsky, Klee, Matisse and Moore.
Building Mocenigo This building they are not known neither the architect of it' the times of construction but from the aspect of the façade you/he/she can be deduced that I/you/he/she go up again to the XVII century.
In 1945 you/he/she was given to the commune in Venice by Alvise Nicolò, last descendant of the Venetian family, to the purpose to be accorpato to the museum Currer and to be used as gallery of art.
The museum picks up a vast collection of Venetian suits enriched by ends, laces and jewels symbol of the refinement and the elegance of the Family Mocenigo of St. Stae.
Church of St. Stae Reconstructed in the second halves the sec. XVII according to the project of Giovanni Grassi, following the lines drives some preexisting building.The façade was reconstructed for wanting some Doge Alvise II Mocenigo.
Church of St. Giacomo of the Orio Is a very ancient church that was reconstructed in 1225 to want some Mule families and Badoer and then it suffered further changes among the XIV and the XVII century.
The Turks' warehouse The building was purchased from the Republic in 1381 for the dukes of Ferrara, its ownership passed to different patrician families thin 1621, when he was rented to the Turks and used as residence and as store for the commodities up to the 1838. In 1858 he was purchased from the Commune in Venice and after various restaurations it became the center of the Museum to Race up to 1992, currently it entertains the Civic Museum of Natural History, understands collections of fossils, botanical harvests, and you collect entomologiche.
St. Nicolò from Tolentino The church is born from the project of Vincent Scamozzi that it directed the jobs of it from 1591 to the 1602.
Been incomplete The façade, you/he/she was finished then by Andrew Tirai, that added other elements: six Corinthian columns and the pronao with the eardrum.
Building the Regina's The Corner building was built for wish by the family to Race in the XVIII sec. and planned by the Domenico Rossi.In 1454 it was born you Caterina become subsequently queen of Cyprus. With the extinction of the family the building became center of the Mountain of the Pity in the '800 and today it entertains the historical file of the Biennal exhibition in Venice.